Saturday 31 December 2011

Lies we tell ourselves

AKA New years resolutions.....

Does anyone really believe they will stick to their resolutions?  I mean I know we do at the time, at that exact second we are saying them and they sound so good, at midnight on the 31st when under the influence of whatever alcohol we have consumed, we say this year I will run a marathon, I will start eating more healthy food, lots of vegetables and non processed stuff.  Then we wake up hours later and ask ourselves WTF?
A marathon, I can barely make it downstairs to the kitchen, and I think someone needs to get the dead rat out my mouth first!  Also I need fried food asap, or perhaps a big Mac for breakfast with a chocolate milkshake, yes definitely a chocolate milkshake.   And that's as far as our resolution goes.

Image by Tink...B
Perhaps it's that we try too hard to set something that sounds impressive?  We are celebrating with friends and when they ask,  it seems to lame to say the things you know you will do, so you sprout off  something that is going to wow them, to make them think whoa, she really has her shit together.  Then the reality that you are just as fucked up as the next person hits sometime in the first few days of the new year.   Maybe we should be setting the bar lower.  Something like, this year I will read to the kids every day, nah  seriously, whom I kidding,  it needs to be even lower than that!  This year I will wake up and eat a meal every day, or this year I will drink more red wine 'cause it's good for my cholesterol.  Now those are some resolutions I  can keep!  Maybe even,  this year I will try to do the laundry and have a clean lot ready before we all run out of underwear....ok, but let's not push our luck here.  Ooh.... I know, this year I resolve not to be a perfectionist, done, done and done!


That being said, I do have some grand resolutions for this year that I am going to put out there on this blog, and I have not been drinking (well not too much), and I have had some time to think these through.  Tonight I agreed to run a 5km race this next year with someone, so that is one, and the other is to get to my goal weight this year.  That's another 25 lbs or so away, but considering this past year I got rid of 40, I think I can do this. 

Of course the laundry and waking up every day sound pretty good ones to make too,...along with perhaps not smothering DH in his sleep when he is snoring like a buzz saw next to me like he is presently! 

.....it's been 10 minutes since I typed the above sentence and I take it back, I don't think DH is going to make it into the new year, I am about to encourage the monster dog to go and sleep on his face.

No comments:

Post a Comment